How to set up Japanese input in Ubuntu —05 December 2010
The official documentation is here, but incomplete: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JapaneseInput
A couple of steps are missing, this is how I did it in Ubuntu 10.10.
sudo apt-get install anthy ibus-anthy
- Go to System / Preferences / Keyboard Input Methods
- It asked me twice if I want to start the ibus service. Probably some bug, just say Yes.
- Go to Input Method tab
- Select Anthy from the Select an input method drop-down menu
After this you should be able to switch between Japanese/English input with
Control + Space.
To make this permanent, you need to set one more thing:
- Go to System / Administration / Language Support
- Set Keyboard input method system to